Saturday, January 23, 2010

All Star Voting Getting Ridiculous

The voting for this years NBA All Star game has come to a close and I find some of the results absolutely ridiculous. At first I was really bothered that Allen Iverson was elected to the starting line up. Iverson has had a great career, no doubt, but there are clearly players having better seasons than Iverson and who deserved the honor over him. After all he's played less than half of his teams games this year, and the Grizzly franchise can't emphasize enough how much better the team is since Iverson took his act elsewhere.
But as much as the Iverson vote bothered me I was in full blown shock when I realized that Tracy McGrady nearly won a starting spot on the Western Conference roster. Yes, this is the same McGrady who has played in all of 6 games and scored a grand total of 19 points this season! Not 19 points per game, 19 points all season long. It would sound comical that Steve Nash needed a last minute rally to surpass McGrady in the voting if it weren't true.
My intent here is not to trash Iverson or McGrady. Both have been outstanding players through out their careers, but clearly neither of them are the top player at their position this season, and that's what I thought an all star was supposed to be. When I sit down to watch the All Star Game I want to see the 10 best players in the league walk out on the court for the opening jump.
The fact that nearly 2 million fans voted for McGrady is mind boggling. Shame on the fans who stuffed the ballot box with votes for McGrady when he so obviously doesn't belong. The fact that the NBA allows it to happen may be more mind boggling. I know it's just an exhibition game but let's not make a mockery of it for crying out loud. It is a tremendous honor for a player to be allowed to participate in the game, and it bothers me that truly deserving players are over looked for truly undeserving ones.
While I think it's great that the fans can vote for the starters I wish they would do it by voting a little more responsibly. If fans around the league want to turn the All Star game into a cheap popularity contest so be it, as long as the NBA clarifies that the game is for the most popular but not necessarily the best players. Since I obviously don't like the way the voting turned out let me give you my starting 5 in each conference.

Eastern:
C- Dwight Howard
F- LeBron James
F- Chris Bosh
G- Derrick Rose
G- Dwayne Wade

Western:
C-Chris Kaman
F- Zach Randolph
F- Carmelo Anthony
G-Kobe Bryant
G- Chris Paul

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I say it is also ridiculous with that whole allen iverson thing that is just a joke he has barely played this year

    ReplyDelete