Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Favre's Act Wearing Thin

Sunday's late touchdown pass by Brett Favre in a 34-3 playoff victory over the Dallas Cowboys has been gnawing at me for a couple days now. My first response was to wonder where has the class and respect for your peers vanished to?
I have trouble trying to imagine the great, well respected coaches of the past such as Tom Landry and Bill Walsh sticking a late touchdown in the face of their counterparts as did Favre and Viking coach Brad Childress.

My second thought was to try and decipher the motivation behind it. I could not think of any recent bad blood between the two teams, then it dawned on me to check the record books.
Bingo! Favre's late TD pass gave him 43 for his career, only two shy of the current record held by Joe Montana. Favre's ego strikes again.

Since Brett has brought our attention to the record books let's look a little farther. How about in the category that really counts. In his prior 18 years, he has managed one Super Bowl Ring. Compare that to Montana and Bradshaw with 4, Aikman and Brady with 3 and for good measure let's thrown in former Packer great Bart Starr's 5 Championships.

Favre's total playoff record of 12-10 is also rather pedestrian in comparison. Montana compiled a 16-7 mark, Brady 14-3, Bradshaw 14-5, Aikman 11-4 and Starr 9-1.

Don't get me wrong, the guy has been a very good quarterback in this league and will end up a Hall of Famer, but his bigger the the league, bigger than the team and bigger than the coach attitude keeps me from really taking a liking to this guy. Just ask current Packer QB Aaron Rodgers what a professional Favre was when Green Bay drafted him a few years ago.

It seems that Brett Favre demands a lot of respect and I suppose that's fine, so long as he doesn't forget he needs to continue to earn it. He can start by checking his ego at the door.

8 comments:

  1. Last I checked it is up to the DEFENSE to stop the offense from scoring! How many other hall of famers did Montana, Bradshaw, Aikman and Brady play with compared to Favre??? Did they play in the coldest climate like Favre??? Don't hate Favre, because unlike all those other guys, he can still play at 40! Pro players all have big egos. If you are going to base success on super bowl rings then I guess Marino, Kelly and Fouts weren't very good either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never said he wasn't good, in fact I said he is probably a Hall of Famer. I simply think Favre believes he is bigger than the game. The same can not be said about the three other QB's you mentioned. If he wants to set a record by throwing TD passes when is up by 24 pts. that's his choice, I am not impressed. Your right it is the defenses job to stop the offense. However, if you are going to throw a cheap TD pass to run up the score you best not think you can hide behind the flag football rules the league put in for the QB's, because I will not respect them next time I play you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Mario, last I checked Brady and Bradshaw didn't play in tropical climates. All players do have egos, but most know when to put it away for the good of the team. Not so sure about Favre. It's interesting that Favre feels entitled to skip training camp every year, but all the other great QBs you've mentioned never felt entitled to it. A true leader leads by example. Favre should be the first player to report to camp, not the last one. I guess he feels entitled to rights no other player in the history of the league has been entitled to. If there is anything wrong with our society it's false entitlements.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not to mention that Favre entered this season with only 3 playoff wins in the last 13 years. Favre has done little in the playoffs since the Packers Super Bowl win in 1996.Maybe that's why he got so excited over a meaningless TD pass against the Cowboys.

    ReplyDelete
  5. While I somewhat disagreed with you concerning your post about the National Championship game, where I believed that game was for the kids who are not yet professionals...I agree you with here; Favvv-ra's and Minnesota's meaningless last touchdown against Dallas was truly unprofessional and lacked class......

    ReplyDelete
  6. being from mississippi i have been a lifelong Favre fan. I think you should remove the probably from the hall of fame statement. Since he started his first game at qb he has never missed a game! That is worth the hall of fame vote right there. He is a arrogant but most in his position are. I dont think a mans personality should play a role in his position of all time greats, just his play.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I did not use his personality for comparison, just the stats. Everyone can make their own judgements. As far as I am concerned, he rates behind several others at his position.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I dont think he is the best ever now, I do think he is between number 5-10 of all time.

    ReplyDelete