Friday, January 8, 2010

Saban's Late Score Bothersome

Let me first say that I am not the liberal 'let's play fair type'. As a matter of fact, I was a supporter of Bill Belichick when many folks thought he ran up the score on the Tennessee Titans earlier this NFL season in a 59-0 victory. The way I see it, you can't stop playing the game after only two quarters and if 11 men making millions of dollars a year want to quit and/or can't stop you, too bad, their professionals and I will not shed a tear for them. Now that I have that disclaimer out of the way, on to last night. With about 1:06 remaining and a ten point lead 'Bama had the ball second and goal on the Texas two yard line. Texas had only one time out left and did not use it after a first down play, which led me to believe Longhorn coach Mack Brown had conceded the game. Instead of being gracious in victory, Alabama coach Nick Saban saw an opportunity to widen the margin. I felt Alabama underachieved in the game despite the win, just ask Brent Musberger who was quick to point out early in the first half that Texas "did not have a chance" with McCoy out of the game. Instead, a freshman QB spearheaded a gritty performance by the 'Horns and actually put them in a position to tie or win the game late in the fourth quarter. Maybe I am off base here, but I thought under the circumstances, Saban should have tipped his cap to his colleague by kneeling on the ball rather than satisfying his own ego with a cheap score.

3 comments:

  1. While I see your point, it must be said that for the players, this is a once in a lifetime opportunity, and for Richardson who most definately will have an incredible college career; he will tell his grandchildren in years to come that he scored just as many TD's as the Heisman Winner did in the game that he and his team won the National Championship!
    Also, as a side note- SHOE really need that score so he could collect on his takes!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure Walter Payton would share you views.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If only the Tide would have fumbled and the Longhorns ran it back for 6, then Saban might have learned a lesson on how to win humbly. I think he was mad because the Gatorade didn't match his game outfit.

    ReplyDelete