Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Eagles McNabb Has Ways To Go Until Bronzed

I received a call from a friend the other day after he had a spirited discussion with one of his old college buddies about Donovan McNabb. His buddy seemed to be of the opinion that McNabb's place in The Pro Football Hall of Fame has already been solidified. Of course, my friend vehemently disagreed and ask for my thoughts on the matter. First let me say that McNabb, now in his 11th season, has proven to be an extremely capable NFL QB. A quick glance shows he has put up some very impressive numbers along the way, but let's put them in some context. In career passer rating Donovan is 18th on the list with a solid 86.5, however, a closer look shows that he trails the likes of Chad Pennington, Daunte Culpepper, Jeff Garcia and Matt Schaub. No Offense to those folks, but I do not see Canton in their future. As for career TD's thrown he ranks 22nd all time, once again very impressive. Here he ranks behind Dave Kreig, John Hadl, Vinny Testaverde and Boomer Esiason. In fact, Testaverde has thrown for well over 40,000 yards and as much as I like Vinny and felt he was very under appreciated no one is sizing up his bust. Lastly, I checked the passing yards category and found that McNabb is 24th on the list with over 32,000 yards looking up at QB's such as Steve DeBerg, Jim Everett and Jim Hart (bet you don't believe me about DeBerg). As I see it, it will take a lot more than some pretty numbers for this QB to earn Hall of Fame honors. Like many before him he will have to earn his place by leading his team to the promise land and capturing the hardware. As far as how the media feels about this issue, I will defer to Rush Limbaugh. Sorry, I couldn't resist.

2 comments:

  1. Bernie should get crowned before McNabb.
    And he ain't getting crowned, so...

    ReplyDelete